1 Samuel 7:12 “…till now the Lord has helped us.”
In 1789, six men covenanted together to present themselves and their families to the work of the Lord in Limington. They pledged to govern themselves by the Holy Scriptures with the help of the Holy Spirit, to conform their lives to the gospel, and to order their ministry according to the Cambridge Platform of Congregational Churches. The church was known as the Congregational Church in Limington.
Our first minister was the Reverend John Adams, a circuit preacher, who ministered to several towns in the Ossipee region. In 1793 the church called a permanent pastor, Jonathan Atkinson, who was ordained and installed on November 12, 1794. In 1835, the original meetinghouse was torn down and the current building was erected. The bell and tower were added in 1836.
The church has seen many pastors since that time and continues to order itself according to the original covenant of 1789. In 1965, we began our association with the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference. In 2011 the congregation voted to change our affiliation to the Orthodox Presbyterian Church and is now known as the Limington Orthodox Presbyterian Church.
For information on the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, click here: The Orthodox Presbyterian Church (opc.org)